Sunday 23 December 2007

Sanchez: A Cautious Inquest

There’s little to be gained from turning the earth on a grave once someone has been buried, but here are a few sources that provide some illumination upon life under Fulham's former manager.

The first is drawn from comments in today’s Observer newspaper – I’ll allow you to be the judge of their credibility - and the second is a transcript of Clint Dempsey’s post-match interview with the BBC.

The Observer

“Fulham have stepped up their search for a new manager following the sacking of Lawrie Sanchez. The former Northern Ireland manager was ready to offer his resignation in the aftermath of last weekend's 1-0 home defeat to Newcastle United, but was persuaded not to by advisers. He then spent most of last week awaiting dismissal until being asked to step down on Thursday night.

Although Sanchez moved out many of predecessor Chris Coleman's playing staff, replacing several of them with members of the Northern Ireland squad, he was unpopular in the Craven Cottage dressing room. He frequently criticised the players' attitude and is understood to have launched into an expletive-laden assault on the team at half time of the Newcastle game, accusing them of wanting to get him the sack.”


BBC Post-Match Interview with Clint Dempsey

Is Ray Lewington someone you like working with?

Yeah, definitely. I like it with him and Billy. They’re good guys, positive, they like to get the ball and keep it on the ground and move it. Like a possession style of game – that suits me well. That’s what I love about football, that’s why I love playing it. I’m happy that they’re in charge and I’m just doing everything I can to help the team win.

If Ray was to get the job would that be a popular choice among the players?

I don’t know. I mean, it would suit me. I like those guys, like I said. I think it showed tonight that we played a better style of football under them because they give us a little bit more freedom and allow us as players to express ourselves – express ourselves a little bit more and when your able to do that you enjoy your football a lot more.

No comments: